8.25.2010

Juarez, Mexico

We went to Mexico to build houses. Most people here wouldn't consider a one-room dwelling a house, but the people we served that week were very grateful. For them it was home!

I remember a few distinct things about that week in Juarez...

  • I was a team leader for the building of a house. What were they thinking? Me, read plans and build a house in one week? Thankfully, I had some rocking adult guys on my team and my co-leader, Michael, who made it happen.
  • As mentioned above, I didn't spend much time working on the house. I spent most of my time playing with children. One child in particular stole my heart - Adrian (at least I think that was his name). He was very shy, but for some reason he liked me. Hanging out with him and showing him love was the highlight of the trip for me.
  • Those six November days in Juarez were the coldest ones of my life. We slept in Army tents on cots, and it was 14 degrees outside. No many how many clothes I layered on, I couldn't get warm. Many of my friends were taking bucket showers in this type of weather...not me, I refused. I do not dump ice cold water over my head that then causes my hair to freeze! That's insanity! So, I didn't shower the whole time we were there. Thankfully, as mentioned above, it was very cold which meant there was little to no sweating, and baby wipes kept me decent. It was perfect because I'm sure most of those families we were building the houses for didn't have access to showers either. A big shout out goes to my best friend, Libby, for braiding my hair when it was so nasty.
  • Stucco is hard work! I give mad props to anyone who manually mixes and lays stucco. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention...no electricity meant no power tools. Good times! This one of the times I did help, and boy was I sorry. :)
  • We went home a day early. We were all so cold that we decided to forego shopping to head home. Eighteen hours home.
  • I was tasked with keeping my friend, Austin, awake while we drove. I think I failed miserable! Austin, thanks for not falling asleep behind the wheel; you're the man.



















1 comment:

  1. Those were cold but good times! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete