7.15.2010

Forgotten God

I just finished Francis Chan's Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit. In my opinion, it was a very challenging book. I wish I could give you this great summary of the whole thing that would make you want to run out and buy it, but I'm an artist and my brain doesn't work that way.

In the last chapter, there is a great paragraph that really summed up some of it for me:

I don't want my life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit. I want people to look at my life and know that I couldn't be doing this by my own power. I want to live in such a way that I am desperate for Him to come through. That if He doesn't come through, I am screwed.

He goes on to talk about 1 Kings 18, with Elijah and the prophets of Baal. He says his favorite part is how the prophets say, "The Lord - he is God!" They didn't complement Elijah on his great prayer or speaking ability; they recognized God and His power.

It's a great reminder and ties in with a Scripture I read earlier today. John 7:18 - He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.

Who are you working to gain honor for?

Read the book; I'd love to hear what you learn. I have to give a shout out to Jim at Cornerstone Church for such a cool cover design; I like it more than most I have seen in a long time.

2 comments: