1.11.2011

Idols and Marriage.

It's an interesting combo.

A friend recently recommended I listen to a John Piper sermon called Single in Christ. It's John Piper, so I waited a little while because I wasn't sure if I could handle what he had to say. He's not exactly known for sugar coating the Gospel which I love listening to him. A good butt kicking from a sermon never hurt anyone, especially me. There's a link to the sermon above in case you want yours kicked too.

There's one thing that really stuck out to me. He makes a comment about how we've elevated marriage and given it idol status in America today. I had really never given a second thought to my desire for marriage getting in the way of me knowing Christ. Wow! He definitely dropped a bombshell on me because it's true. Society tells me it's better to be married, so I allow my personal desires for something as temporal as marriage to take the place or come before my desire to know God. Yikes!

I'm guilty! This was definitely a reminder, as I already know, that an idol is not just a statue made from wood. It can take so many different forms and even cause something good to become sin in your life.

Another thing is that I must be constantly probing myself for sin because sometimes we're just lazy about allowing it to remain in our lives. We don't take the time to ask God to show it to us because it's easier to keep it than deal with it.

Let's take the time to deal with our sin. I know it's something that I'm working on.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this today, Katie. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that marriage is such an idol. I think that more so, a wedding is an idol. I spent a lot of time at my parents' house watching stupid tv and flipping by even stupider tv. How many shows out there are about finding the perfect wedding dress, having the perfect wedding, getting the perfect wedding cake.... We spend so much time as a culture focusing on a bride having a perfect wedding day that we forget that the day is about a man and a woman committing to marriage... a serious venture that doesn't require cake!

    Your post is right on. For sure.

    Miss you, friend. We're finally back in town. Yay!

    ReplyDelete