11.03.2010

Pumpkin Carving

I haven't carved a pumpkin since my childhood, and even back then, I'm pretty sure I didn't carve it myself. Clearly my parents did all the heavy lifting by scraping it bone dry before triangle eyes, a triangle nose, and a jagged tooth smile was carved precisely in the right place.

I didn't realize what hard work it was to get all the gunk out of a pumpkin. It takes a lot of relentless scraping. Too much!

Pumpkin carving has come a long way since my childhood. It's an art form now with parts shaved away and other parts completely carved out. As an artist, I was totally intimidated to carve this sucker. I know that sounds crazy, but it's a lot of pressure to perform on the spot.

All it took was a little peer pressure to get me started on a completely random design. Despite knocking out a piece that I didn't plan on, I had a great time with my friends. They're cool, and they're smart. They used patterns to carve their pumpkins. Next year, I'm abandoning any artistic talent that I possess for a pattern.








No comments:

Post a Comment