6.18.2010

What Kind of Sleeve Are You?

[Disclaimer: This post will make me seem a little nuts. There were supposed to be pictures, but I tried two scanners at my office with no success.]

A couple weeks ago I was sitting at my desk when I received a text from an old college friend. Here's how the conversation went.

Jon: This is Jon B. is this still your cell?
Me: Yes it is, Jon, how are you?
Jon: You're gonna laugh!
Me: Why?
Jon: I'm cripple sleeve!

This is the moment where I laughed my head off and was immediately transported back to my college days. Jon was one of my best friends back then and so was his twin brother, Justin. We spent many nights up until way too late acting silly, singing worship songs, and managing to still go to class in the morning. Well, I went to class in the morning; I can't speak for what happened to Jon & Justin on those fateful nights after I went back to the dorm.

We also went on this choir tour/ski trip together one year. On the trip, Justin managed to do some major damage to his knee, and ski patrol had to actually take him down the mountain. As a result, he was on crutches.

Shortly after our return from this trip, Jon was closing a window on the old BCM when his hand slipped and went through the glass. The window cut his wrist pretty badly, so we hopped in the car to head to the emergency room. As we entered with Justin on his crutches and Jon with a towel on his bleeding wrist, the nurse only wanted to know if something was wrong with me too. Crazy!

It must have been on one of those delusional, stay up too late nights following these incidents that we each were awarded with a "sleeve" name. I realize that this is completely absurd, but it was hilarious to us back then. Justin became crippled sleeve, Jon became suicidal sleeve, my friend Libby became long sleeve (because she's tall, and I became short sleeve for obvious reasons. Maybe if Jon or Justin is reading this post, they can comment on how we came up with the "sleeve" thing. I can't remember for the life of me.

Anyway, do you ever do/say anything with your close friends that is so funny at the moment but sounds completely ridiculous after the fact. Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment