2.11.2010

Another Year of Mardi Gras

Growing up in New Orleans, I slowly developed a very strong dislike towards Mardi Gras. It's not that I hate when people throw me free junk that has no value, and I actually grew up going to parades every year of my childhood. So I have been thinking and trying to put my finger on why I feel such a strong sense of detest for this holiday (notice how I've been attempting to not use the word hate).

First, I really hate traffic, and there is traffic everywhere during this time of year, before and after each parade. Also, there are multiple parades happening all at the same time.

Second, I am a pretty short gal, and it's no fun being short in a crowd of taller people. Especially, when I've made the effort to fight the traffic and get to the parade; I want to be able to see what's happening. My friends keep telling me that I need one of those ladders like the kids use. It seems weird though because we never even used a ladder when I was a kid.

Then, I've also lived in the third world and have seen extreme poverty during my lifetime. It bothers me to watch people waste so much money on parades; however, I am just as guilty of wasting money, just in different ways. Don't worry, I'm holding myself accountable too!

I think these are some great reasons why I've come to enjoy sitting at home and watching things on tv, if I can make it home in the traffic. :)

Despite all of my strong feelings, I will be braving it for one parade and one parade only this year-Bacchus! I'm even staking out a spot, so one of my friends (who is a first-timer) can really appreciate his first parade EVER! Come out and join me for a whirlwind of sober fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment