10.18.2011

From My Sketchbook: Shine

I have a confession to make...

I doodle in church. I know, I know, but don't judge me before I explain myself.

Sitting still and staying quiet does not come naturally to me. I have NEVER been know as quiet...EVER! When I was a kid, I would marvel at how people could keep their eyes closed for the entire invitation time; I certainly could not.

You can imagine that if the 3-5 minute invitation was a stretch; the sermon was like a marathon for me. One where I usually got in trouble for talking and then eventually punished for talking too much.

I have never known my life without drawing; it is part of who I am. It's only fair that it seeps into ever area of my life...even church.

I'm proud to admit that I still draw in church. It actually keeps me focused, quiet, and more attentive to what is being said. It has a way of quieting my soul to allow me to hear God, instead of noticing that someone else has just gotten up to make their way to the bathroom. :)

I used to just draw on whatever scrap paper was available and ended up tossing most of my artwork when I would clean out my Bible. Thankfully, I started bringing a sketchbook with me each week, so I can hang onto the creations that are birthed during the sermons.

I wanted to begin sharing some of them with you. Here's the first one. It was originally just a swirl, which looked more like an "s" and turned into the word shine.

Shining is such a positive thing; no one wants to be dull, right? Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment