12.27.2010

A funny thing happened...

As y'all know, I've been at my new job for almost a month, and part of my job is customer service. That requires that I'm nice to customers, right?

Apparently I was too nice last week because one of our customers asked me out for coffee. Normally, I'm not opposed to guys asking me out, but he seemed to be at least fifteen years older than me, not to mention that he had a roughly 11 year old boy in tow. In addition, I know I don't look my age, so he was essentially asking a 26 year old out, not an almost 31 year old. He is a perfectly nice guy, just unfortunately not the one for me.

Needless to say, it really took me by surprised, and I wasn't sure what to say. So, I stammered through some maybes, not right nows, and awkward laughing was also involved. Terrible, right? I realize that my friends are probably wondering if I was inhabiting my body because I'm usually a straight shooter in all circumstances. To my credit though, it was my 12th day of working in a row, so my mental wit was not at its peak.

So, I've got to know. Guys, what do you want to hear in this situation? Do you want a girl to just flat out say, "no thanks," if she's not interested. Or, would you prefer some sort of awkwardness like what transpired with me?

I need your thoughts. I want to be prepared in case this ever happens again! Also, I welcome dates with people closer to my age...just in case anyone was wondering. :)

3 comments:

  1. I know I am a wuss but I think awkwardness is better than just a cold no. That goes against my normal direct personality as well but I think that a cold no might come across as the girl being stuck up or something which you clearly are not.

    Plus I will say I don't really know how someone randomly asks out someone they just met in a store so maybe I'm not the best answerer for this question. If they have that ability in them they might prefer a more direct answer OR more importantly if you aren't direct they may not take the hint and keep bugging you.

    How is that for a waffling answer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd say case-by-case.

    You can always do that thing my youth minister used to do, where you keep saying "excuse me?" like you didn't hear, until they get frustrated and walk away.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips, guys!

    ReplyDelete