8.18.2010

2nd Stop: Taiwan

Taiwan was my second trip overseas, and I spent a whole summer there in 2000. Let's just say that it wasn't my first choice (I actually think it was Thailand), but it turned out to be the best summer of my life.

My team consisted of me and three other girls, and we lived with an amazing couple and their daughter. We were the "True Love Waits" team. I know what you're thinking...and yes, they wanted me talk to young Taiwanese youth about abstinence.  Needless to say, I was mortified when I discovered this was our objective for the summer! Talking about sex or even NOT having sex is such a taboo thing in the church, so I felt really under prepared for this task. Despite my inadequacies, God was with me. He equipped me to do so many things that summer. I taught abstinence, taught English, led VBS, danced in church, hosted a youth rally, and all through a translator. I couldn't have done any of this on my own, but God really showed me what could be accomplished through me and in me when I let him have control of my life. When I look back now, it is hard to believe I did even half of those things. I survived by God's strength alone and the funny thing is...I had the time of my life in the process.

I also fell in love with Asia and left my heart there. As you'll see in one of the photos, I had a camera in my hand even back then. Look forward to next week and Mexico!


















1 comment:

  1. When I look at your pictures of Asia it makes me want to go back and I see why you love it. It looks like it was a good trip

    ReplyDelete