7.29.2010

Life Lessons | One

Life is all about learning. It seems like there are always things left to be discovered and discovered by me. It's just when I think I've got life figure out, I think I know who I am, or I think I have the right thing to say in a given situation that my train gets completely derailed. Yesterday was one of those days for me.

A good friend of mine lost his mom. She had been sick for some time, and he had just purchased a ticket to fly back overseas to see her 30 minutes before receiving the phone call of her death.

When I received his text telling me what was going on, my heart sank. He is basically here without any of his family, so I felt the immediate need to rush to his apartment. I had no clue what I would say to him or what I could do to comfort him, but I knew that I needed to be there for him, whatever that meant. Once I arrived, I realized that words weren't necessary. If they were required, I would have failed miserable as a friend because I had none. Thank goodness that he just needed me there, to sit quietly while he made phone calls and arrangements.

God had given him peace, as he sometimes does in times of crisis. God had mentally prepared him for this moment, so he was able to accept God's comfort too. More importantly, she was a believer, so she is enjoying a much better place and is free from the pain she experienced here on earth.

I learned that living life alongside people is a powerful thing; it's what God has called us to do. It's almost always messy and usually calls us to be a better version of ourselves, but it is one of the most rewarding things on this earth.

Romans 12:15
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

I want to be a better version of me; the person that is only possible with God by my side. "Dying to self" is a difficult thing, but it is something that God has called each of us to do.

Selflessness. I'm up for the challenge, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment